Episode 1: Refrigerator Cooking
Hey there! I am back and I have started a YouTube Channel! Details below!
Today’s recipe is really not a “true” recipe. It’s more of an encouraging example of what you can do with some stuff that’s already in your refrigerator.
That’s right…no trips out into the wildness of the COVID-19 world or into a grocery store. Chances are, you might have some stuff in your refrigerator that you can cook up right now!
I got the idea to create a series of videos showing me cooking things that I already have for a few reasons:
- I am moving soon and would like to clear this stuff OUT! The more I eat, the less I have to carry to the new place.
- Going to the grocery store used to be kind of fun. Now, not so much.
- Reducing food waste!
The third reason is really the most important (and least selfish). It’s important to cook and eat what we’ve already bought before it spoils. That way, we can save money, reduce food waste, and actually save time.
The general “guidance” below is what I used (or should have used) in my meal.
BASIC ASS PAN SEARED CHICKEN WITH GREEN VEGETABLES
Recipe yields enough for 2 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (or oregano, however you’d like to pronounce it)
- 1/4 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
- Bok choy
- Pre-chopped kale
- 1/2 an onion (or less!)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon all purpose seasoning (I used Tony Chachere’s)
- 1 chicken breast, cut in half
- Salt and pepper to taste (do not use too much salt or pepper like I did in the video! Oops! I recommend starting with 1/2 teaspoon salt for the vegetables and a sprinkling of pepper and adjust up from there. Taste it, y’all!)
- Optional: serve with white jasmine rice
- Add about 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan and let it heat up for about 1 minute.
- Chop the onion and add it to the pan. Sprinkle it with a bit of salt. Let it saute until slightly brown and softened.
- Chop your green vegetables. Add them to the pot. Add chicken broth or water and cover to let steam. Cook until softened to your liking.
- Cut the chicken breast in half (check out the video to see how to do this!) and season both sides.
- Add the remaining oil to a separate pan and heat up for 1 minute.
- Cook the chicken on both sides until done.
- Serve with rice!
Hey! Before you go off to cook what’s in your refrigerator, please hop on over to YouTube to subscribe to my new channel!
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel and watch a video of me preparing this dish!
I’d love to see ya there!