Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram!
I love to buy cooking ingredients that I don’t know how to use. If there’s a sale on (insert ingredient here) and it’s in pretty packaging or has an interesting name, you bet your socks I am going to buy it.
Then, I take the ingredient home and let it languish in the darkened recesses of my pantry. But today, I am going to make a different choice. I am going to use the unfamiliar ingredient in a simple way. The ingredient is: curry powder!
I know that curry powder is a very familiar ingredient to probably approximately 60% of the planet. I also know that the word “curry” really just means “sauce” but Westerners have changed the understanding of the word to mean some type of specific dish.
If you’d like to learn more about how to properly use the word “curry”, click here to read an excellent article that explains the confusion.
I am going to simply use curry powder to make a saucy chicken. Here’s how I did it:
Curry Chicken with Brown Rice and Broccoli
Ingredients (makes 1 serving)
- 1 -2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream or dairy heavy cream / half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the brown rice in salted water according to package directions, approximately 35 minutes.
- Begin to boil the water to steam the broccoli. Put the broccoli into the steamer basket when the water is boiling and cover the pot with a lid. Steam until the broccoli is at your desired level of doneness.
- Chop the onion. Add the oil to a pan and allow it to get warm. Add the chopped onions, a pinch of salt, and the curry powder. Stir and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Chop the chicken into bite sized chunks. Add to the onion mixture and stir. Add a splash of water to deglaze the pan.
- Chop the garlic and add to the chicken mixture. Add more splashes of water, as necessary.
- Cook the chicken until it is done. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut cream to create a creamy sauce.
- Serve over rice and with the broccoli. Enjoy!
Watch me make this dish here:
Need more ideas?
A quick and easy way to use your zucchini.
Keto friendly and low carb recipe for salmon with brussels sprouts and mushrooms
Make a delicious pasta meal with a few ingredients and less than 15 minutes.
Learn how to organize your kitchen pantry for free reusing items that you already have in your home.
Veganism: have you heard of it? Of course you have. The eating style that is committed to not eating anything produced from animals (including eggs, cheese, and even honey) is very mainstream. Being a hippie is no longer “required” to become a vegan. I am not a vegan, so I will not comment on anyone’s…
Spaghetti with meat sauce ready in less than 15 minutes!