It’s time for another episode / blog post about cooking what is *already in your doggone refrigerator.* We don’t condone food waste here at the Basic Ass Cooking Channel and one way to combat food waste is to cook the food we already have…even if it is a little sad or limp.
The sad and limp star of today’s refrigerator cooking episode is ZUCCHINI. I find that I have to cook zucchini within at least 3-4 days of purchasing…otherwise, it starts to become a bit less appetizing to look at. So, if you have some zucchini that you bought last week or last pay period and it looks close to belonging in the trash, read on to learn how to use it in a tasty dish that comes together in less than 20 minutes!
CHICKEN AND ZUCCHINI SERVED OVER MASHED POTATOES
Ingredients (makes approximately 2 lunch sized portions)
- 1-2 chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2-3 tablespoons of chopped onion (just estimate!)
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 russet potato
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt, to taste (for everything)
- 1-2 teaspoons of pepper, to taste (for everything)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cajun seasoning
- 3-4 tablespoons of water or chicken stock
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Place a steamer basket inside.
- Peel and chop the potato. Steam in the covered pot until tender.
- Add the olive oil to a separate pan. Turn heat to medium high.
- Chop onion, zucchini, and garlic. Add to warm oil and sprinkle with salt to season.
- Cook vegetables for about 2 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Cut chicken into strips or cubes. Season with cajun seasoning. Toss to combine.
- Add chicken to vegetables. Stir and fry everything together. Add water to pan to continue cooking after about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove steamed potato cubes from pot and add to a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of butter, a splash of cream, salt, and pepper (to taste). Mash to combine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and a splash of cream to chicken and zucchini mixture. Remove from heat and stir together to create sauce.
- Place mashed potatoes on a plate. Top with chicken and zucchini mixture. Enjoy!
Watch me make this recipe here: