Cluck, cluck, what’s up?
Here’s a riddle:
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Answer: not to wash dishes, I assure you!
Washing dishes is not fun! I hate washing dishes! And so, that’s why today I’m sharing another one pot recipe.
This recipe uses my *I wish I could patent this* technique of basically braising the food over medium heat and while covered with a lid. This technique makes for quick, even, and dare I say…fool proof cooking.
ONE POT CHICKEN, MUSHROOMS, AND SPINACH
- 1 leg and thigh quarter chicken piece or two chick thighs or two chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon avocado, coconut, or vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms
- A splash of cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the oil into the pain over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken for approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Chop the onion into a small dice. Add to the pot (with the chicken drippings still in the pot) and sprinkle over a pinch of salt. Stir.
- Chop and add the mushrooms to the pot. Stir.
- Rinse the spinach thoroughly. Chop the spinach and add to the pot. Add a pinch of salt. Stir.
- Chop and add the garlic to the pot. Stir.
- Spread the vegetables out on the bottom of the pot. Place the chicken back inside the pot, on top of the vegetables. Add a splash of water or chicken stock to make sure there’s enough liquid for the food to steam.
- Cook until the chicken and vegetables, covered, until the chicken is done. Check for doneness by sticking a paring knife into the thickest part of the chicken and checking that the juices run clear.
- Stir in the cream and parmesan and mix to combine. Serve hot!
Here’s a picture to show you how much a “bunch” of spinach is. I’m not being obtuse by describing the amount as “a bunch.” That’s just how they (whoever they are) measure spinach. I don’t make the rules.
And here’s a video of this dish bubbling away on the stove, looking and smelling DELICIOUS!