As of the writing of this blog post, it is April 27, 2021: not too far away from Mother’s Day 2021 on May 9.
In celebration of Mother’s Day, I would like to share a few recipes that my mom either made for me when I was a kid or meals that I know she enjoys.
Today’s recipe is a very basic meal that my mom used to cook when I was a kid: spaghetti with meat sauce. It is SO EASY to make and if you’re feeling really indulgent, serve this meal with a slice of buttered toast rubbed with garlic or sprinkled with powdered garlic. Sounds simple (because it is) but so good nonetheless.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make this dish! Ground beef, seasonings, onion, garlic, tomato sauce and a touch of oil is all you need. You probably already have all of this stuff in your pantry right now.
Bring a large pot of water to boiling. I don’t have a “proper” pasta pot (one of those tall, awesome ones), so I used this saucepan. As long as you use lots of water and some salt, the noodles won’t stick together.
Chop the onions. Add a bit of salt and stir. The salt helps draw out moisture from the onions and soften them.
Add the ground beef to the softened onions and break apart into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Add in the tomato sauce and allow the mixture to simmer together.
Add chopped garlic to the mixture and allow to cook until the garlic is fragrant.
Add pasta water to the mixture if it becomes too thick.
Top cooked noodles with meat sauce and serve with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
SPAGHETTI WITH MEAT SAUCE
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 6-8 ounces of ground beef
- 3-4 ounces of dry spaghetti
- 1/4 a large white or sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of Italian or Herbs de Provence seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups of jarred tomato sauce (or use the amount to your liking)
- Grated parmesan cheese on top (your desired amount, optional)
- Bring a pot of water to boiling. Salt generously. Boil pasta until al dente.
- While pasta is boiling, chop the onion and garlic. Add to pan over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef to onion mixture. Break apart and toss with onions. Season with herbs, salt, pepper.
- Cook ground beef until it is no longer pink.
- Add jarred tomato sauce to ground beef mixture and stir. Allow to simmer until pasta is finished cooking.
- Add pasta water to sauce if it’s too thick (optional).
- Serve meat mixture over noodles and grate parmesan cheese on top.
Watch me make this recipe below! While you’re on my YouTube channel, please be sure to like, share, comment, and subscribe!