If you’re like me, you have probably been a bit overzealous at the supermarket when it comes to buying fruit and vegetables.
Walking through the aisles, you see all of the beautiful and colorful produce laid before you and you might think “Yes, of course I’ll eat 3 pints of strawberries before they go bad.
Ha, the lies you (and me) tell. Dirty lies that might cause food waste.
But never despair! The Basic Ass Cooking blog and YouTube channel are here to help you avoid food waste. Use those raggedy and sad ass berries in this recipe. Serve on a sweetly dressed bagel, in a parfait (like I did), or on top of your pancakes and waffles!
EASY STRAWBERRY COMPOTE
Ingredients (makes approximately 2 lunch sized portions)
- Old berries (I used about 5)
- Sugar (start with 1 tablespoon and add more if necessary)
- Water (enough to cover the bottom of your small saucepan)
- Add the water to the saucepan. Turn heat to medium. Bring to gentle boil.
- Cut up the fruit (if necessary…not necessary for blueberries).
- Add fruit and sugar to boiling water.
- Allow fruit to cook and reduce down to desired consistency and texture.
- Serve and enjoy!
Watch me make this recipe here, on my YouTube Channel: